Yoo, William, ed. The Presbyterian Experience in the United States: A Sourcebook. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2017.
PHS Call number: WEST PRESS 2017-23
Please contact PHS for information on how to get access to this source.
See especially the introduction to Gilbert Tennent's "The Danger of an Unconverted Ministry," page 15; and introduction to John Caldwell's "An Impartial Trial of the Spirit Operating in this Part of the World," pages 18-19.
William Yoo is a professor of religion at Columbia Theological Seminary in Georgia, where he teaches American religious and cultural history. In this sourcebook, Yoo has compiled historical texts on multiple topics relating to Presbyterian churches and culture in the United States, and has also written a short introduction to each document.
- Who is the author of this source? When was it written? How reliable is this source?
- Why did the Presbytery of Philadelphia come to oppose itinerant preaching (page 15)? How did Tennent respond to that opposition?
- What is Tennent’s place within the First Great Awakening? In what ways did he embody the movement?
- What is Caldwell’s place within the First Great Awakening? How does he counter the principles of revivalism in his work?
- What parallels can be found between the First Great Awakening and American Protestant religion today?